The Disneyland Resort will become a “must-do” travel destination in 2019, whether it’s for a celebration of 90 years of magic with Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse, a journey to the planet Batuu to live the adventures of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, a whirl on two family-friendly attractions opening at Pixar Pier, an encounter with Captain Marvel, or a chance to enjoy the Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival.
Starting in January and continuing throughout 2019, the Disneyland Resort will offer a collection of adventures, festivals, shows, food, Disney character interactions and more to inspire guests to join the fun with family and friends.
1. The year will kick off in true Disney fashion with Get Your Ears On – A Mickey and Minnie Celebration, a party to celebrate Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse at the place where they first appeared for guests. Disney California Adventure Park will celebrate Lunar New Year and the Year of the Pig with a special appearance by the Three Little Pigs, and this spring the annual Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival will offer tasty treats and special entertainment for guests of all ages to enjoy. The Downtown Disney District will continue its exciting, promenade-wide transformation, and the Hotels of the Disneyland Resort will open special dining locations.
2. For the first time ever, guests will be able to live their own Star Wars adventure at the highly anticipated new land, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, opening in summer 2019. The Star Wars universe will come to life like never before with authentic, intergalactic adventures.
3. Beginning Jan. 18, “Mickey’s Mix Magic” will light up the night at Disneyland park with a new high-energy projections show. This nightly extravaganza creates a family-fun dance party throughout the park, with “DJ” Mickey spinning the new celebration song, “It’s a Good Time” along with new, fun takes on favorite Disney songs. State-of-the-art projections, lighting and lasers transform Main Street, U.S.A., the water screens on the Rivers of America and the façade of “it’s a small world” into a colorful, dazzling display of lights and sounds to celebrate Mickey Mouse. On select nights, “Mickey’s Mix Magic” will go sky high when the show is enhanced with the addition of fireworks.
4. A fan-favorite, “Mickey’s Soundsational Parade,” returns to Disneyland Jan. 25, with a rockin’ new opening to kick off the party. Mickey leads the way in a new, larger-than-life opening, inspired by classic and nostalgic Mickey pull toys. Next, Chip ‘n’ Dale arrive with a giant celebration cake, as Mickey and his drum corps kick off a procession of Disney characters.
5. From Jan. 22 through Feb. 18, Disneyland Resort will celebrate the love of Minnie and Mickey for Valentine’s month. Guests will find a new Mickey Mouse flower “portrait,” and lovely and festive Valentine’s décor all along Main Street, U.S.A. Guests may also choose to partake in Minnie’s Valentine Surprise, a special scavenger hunt experience in Disneyland park. After purchasing a commemorative map and stickers at select merchandise locations, they may search for the hidden valentines that Minnie has left for Mickey around the park. Upon completion, maps can be returned to a designated location to redeem a special Valentine’s surprise.*
6. In summer 2019, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will make history as the largest single-land expansion ever at the Disneyland Resort. In this epic, new land, guests will live their own adventure in a galaxy far, far away and explore Black Spire Outpost. Once a busy crossroads, this spaceport on the planet Batuu is now home to those who prefer to stay out of the mainstream, including smugglers, rogue traders and exotic creatures traveling between the frontier and uncharted space.
7. Guests will take the controls in one of three unique and critical roles aboard Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run. On Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, guests can join a battle between the First Order and the Resistance – including a face-off with Kylo Ren. These two new incredible experiences, paired with the land’s interactive components and optional integration with the Play Disney Parks app, will invite guests to become galactic travelers and live their own Star Wars adventures in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.
8. In addition to these two long-awaited attractions, guests may try blue milk, well-known to Star Wars fans, and pop into the local Cantina for libations. They will discover treasures as they maneuver the winding alleyways and merchant stalls, and they may see familiar Star Wars faces, including Chewbacca and stormtroopers. The beauty of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is that each guest is encouraged to choose their unique adventure in the galaxy.
9. Disneyland Resort will ring in the Year of the Pig this Lunar New Year in Disney California Adventure, from Jan. 25 through Feb. 17. A joyous celebration of Asian cultures, the Lunar New Year celebration welcomes guests of all ages to commemorate the tradition with beloved Disney characters, and welcome another year of good fortune.
10. The vibrant Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival will return to the Disneyland Resort from March 1 through April 23, 2019. Seasoned foodies along with culinary newbies will delight in experiencing this eight-week celebration of California-inspired cuisines. Guests will enjoy indulging in favorite dishes and broadening their palettes with more than a dozen delicious Festival Marketplaces, featuring small plates, specialty wines and craft beers.
11. Guests have been enjoying Pixar Pier since it opened in June 2018, bringing the stories and characters of Disney•Pixar films to life with exciting attractions, themed neighborhoods and fun eateries. In 2019, Pixar Pier welcomes two additional attractions to complete the land: Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind and Jessie’s Critter Carousel. This Pixar-inspired land is full of family-friendly fun, including the thrilling Incredicoaster, the popular Toy Story Mania! attraction and the beautiful Lamplight Lounge restaurant overlooking Paradise Bay. Guests have the opportunity to encounter characters from Disney•Pixar films, including Mr. Incredible and Mrs. Incredible and Edna Mode from “The Incredibles,” and Jessie and Woody from “Toy Story.” Even the iconic Pixar Lamp makes an appearance, atop the Pixar Pier marquee.
At a glance: additional new and limited-time magic at Disneyland Resort in 2019
- Tropical Hideaway opens, featuring Rosita from Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room (late 2018)
- Disneyland After Dark special after-hours ticketed events (Sweethearts’ Nite on Feb. 7 and 90s Nite on March 7)
Disney California Adventure Park
- Vampirina joins Disney Junior Dance Party! (February 1)
- Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind attraction opens at Pixar Pier (2019)
- Jessie’s Critter Carousel opens with a rootin’ tootin’ spin at Pixar Pier (2019)
- Captain Marvel, one of the most powerful heroes in the universe, begins encountering guests (2019)
Hotels of the Disneyland Resort
- Tangaroa Terrace, Tropical Bar and Grill opens at the Disneyland Hotel (early 2019)
- Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa opens a new bar in the pool area (spring 2019)
- Character Dining: Mickey’s Tales of Adventure Breakfast Buffet recently debuted at Storytellers Café and Donald Duck’s Seaside Breakfast at Disney’s PCH Grill
Downtown Disney District
- New hyper-reality experience, “Ralph Breaks VR,” is now open at The VOID
- New look at Naples Ristorante e Bar (early 2019)
- Ballast Point brewery opens (early 2019)
- Black Tap Craft Burgers & Shakes opens (early 2019)
- Halloween Time returns (Sept. 2019)
- Holiday entertainment, festivities and décor return (Nov. 2019)
- Play Disney ParksϮ app will feature exciting new updates (throughout 2019)
- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage (originally opened as Submarine Voyage), 60th anniversary (June 6)
- Matterhorn Bobsleds and Disneyland Monorail, 60th anniversaries (June 14)
- Splash Mountain, 30th anniversary (July 17)
- Haunted Mansion, 50th anniversary (Aug. 9)
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, 40th anniversary (Sept. 2)